Sam Hill is a proactive and hands-on highly experienced IT Professional with a proven strategic, architectural, management, and development track record.
Sam is currently the Principal for Platform Technologies at Marks and Spencer - responsible for the overall direction for the digital transformation of the platforms and associated technologies. Overall goal is to transform M&S into a cloud based, DevOps cultured digially innovative company with flexibility and agility to rapidly make changes. This involves integrating old and new technologies, changes organisational structures and migrating and rebuilding hundreds of applications onto the cloud to perpetuate a culture of innovation that puts the customer centre stage.
Sam is also an architecture advocate who champions the creation of great software that can exceed customers needs through creating enterprise capable platforms that separate UI's from underling API's from services/micro-services supported by events maximising the use of Cloud delivered with Agile techniques and DevOps/DevSecOps teams.
|Sharing ideas, techniques and approaches - key notes and presentations|
Sam gives a number of key note addresses each year where he shares both tips, tricks and insights on making use of Cloud, DevOps and culture changes, software architecture using services/micro-services and talks about his experiences delivering scalable, enterprise platforms.|
Upcoming key notes:
Selection of previous key notes:
- R-ETAIL:Code 2017 - 16-17th March 2017 - Why just being agile isn’t enough: How can teams achieve their project goals
- Retail CTO Connect - 6-7th June 2017 - How to Jettison the Bi-modal IT Model to Increase the Speed of Deployment
If you would like Sam to speak at your own conference then please get in touch.
Sam started out in Software development in 1992, creating games and a variety of different business desktop applications. Including a brief spell in the summer of 1998 in publishing, creating rendering engines converting SGML documents into PDF, Word and printshop templates.
In 1999, Sam moved to the fast paced Internet and Telecoms sector holding a number of senior roles and worked building, growing and helping to transform a number of the UK's largest ISPs and telecoms providers into profitable, multi-award winning businesses. Companies worked for included: NetDirect, Ision, and energis.
In 2002, Sam along with two others formed his own start-up NDO where Sam was the Development Director responsible to the design and engineering of all the products and services offered. Sam managed NDO from conception through investment, growth, acquisitions, and profitable divestiture to Namesco who Sam then joined as the Services Development Manager.
In 2007, Sam moved sectors to news publishing at Thompson Reuters - Accelus as the Head of Technology leading the software engineering/development, architecture and testing teams producing bespoke solutions around regulation compliance and policy management for most of the worlds leading financial institutions. This work lead to Sam winning "Manager of the Year" in April 2008.
In June 2009, Sam joined Tesco and was the Head of Solution Architecture leading the architecture vision, driving innovation and transforming the online grocery platform into an SOA-based services/micro-services platform with a team of architects designing all the individual capabilities that make up the platform and supporting their delivery and deployment. This multi-award winning platform transacts sales of approximately £3 billion pounds a year and is currently operational in all 11 of Tesco's operating countries. The platform is an Services/Micro-Services (SOA) Based, multi-language, multi-tenanted platform and new features are designed and delivered utilizing Agile techniques aiming for continuous delivery with a global distributed team. The overall aim is to become every customer's favourite way to shop groceries online, whether at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world becoming the world's leading ecommerce business that already accounts for 57% on all online grocery transactions in the UK [Kantar data].
In January 2016, Sam joined Marks and Spencer initially as the Chief Architect for Digital and is currently also the Principal for Platform Technologies leading the transformation of the technology platform to a DevOps, Cloud based, CI-CD driven agile capability.
For more on Sam's career - please visit: linkedin.com/in/samhill
|Awards for Sam's work|
Sam always tries to design successful platforms and these have been recognised by a number of awards over the years:|
- 2014: BT Retail Week - IT Team of the year - for completing the international rollout of our online grocery home shopping systems
- 2013: BT Retail Week - Solution of the year - for international grocery home shopping
- 2012: Retail Systems Awards - Project of the year - International grocery home shopping
- 2012: Retail Systems Awards - Retailer of the year - International grocery home shopping
- 2008: Publishers Association Awards - Highly Commended for Product Development of the Year - Complinet/Accellus Tracker
- 2007: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best consumer broadband - Namesco
- 2007: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best business broadband - Namesco
- 2006: PC Advisor Awards - Best buy for broadband - Namesco
- 2006: PC Advisor Awards - Best customer satisfaction - Namesco
- 2005: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best consumer ISP - NDO
- 2005: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best hosting provider - NDO
- 2004: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best business ISP - NDO
- 2004: ISPA Awards - Finalist, best hosting provider - NDO
- 2003: Future Internet Awards - best broadband ISP - NDO